Sunday, January 10, 2010

I've been considering just defaulting this week

$5 to the beer fund isn't so bad, after all. And I've been posting so much to my personal blog this weekend, it was hard to imagine I needed to blog more. However, I'm done with my very first fanvid an hour before the deadline, so might as well say something while I'm waiting for it to process.

(Am I too meta? I may be too meta. That's probably the easiest way for me to go, after being a blogger for so long. Well, a livejournaler. Perhaps I will post at some point about the difference?)

The vid was for a fanvidding exchange, Festivids. http://community.livejournal.com/festivids. A bunch of people nominate various visual media sources that are not often vidded, the list is sorted through, people make 6-8 requests of what they might like, and offer what they are willing to do. Then they are anonymously assigned to a recipient, and make a vid. They will all be revealed (without attribution) on thursday. Then everyone will squeal and reccomend them to each other, and then they will find out who made them a vid, and thank them. It is based very closely on Yuletide, http://yuletidetreasure.org, which is basically the same thing as festivids, but with fanfiction. And much bigger. Yuletide has 2000+ participants, Festivids had <100. This was the first year for festivids, I expect it to grow. This was my first year in both, and it's been quite stressful, but also very rewarding. I can't tell you what I made for festivids, but... I think it's not horrible! The people who've looked it over for me didn't think it was horrible.


The story I wrote: "Way Down In The Mines", for vulgarweed. The series is "John the Balladeer" by Manly Wade Wellman, about a man with a guitar with silver strings who wanders the hills of Appalachia encountering weirdshit. Vulgarweed loved the story, which made me very happy. It was my first fanfic.

Also, while festivids is the first proper fanvid I've ever made, this will not be the first time I recieve one! I was part of a secret santa exchange for a Star Trek group, and my santa not only sent me a calendar, but also made me a fanvid! Her first ever! I was blown away.


Star Trek XI FMV - Float On from Ariante on Vimeo.



The holidays are a very fannish time indeed. Next year I might make a fannish crossstich for the fanart exchange. I never paid attention because I can draw, but I can cross stitch!

No comments: