Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar Spoilers!

Kathryn Bigelow just won an Oscar for Best Director! I AM SO EXCITED! It is *incredibly* hard for women to make it as directors, or in much of the high-powered parts of Hollywood. In 2008, 9% of the top 250 films were directed by women! And NPR says that was a lot! Check out this story, which I heard when it first aired last summer. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106402458 It contains great lines such as: "It's like jumping into an orgy while you're still shaving your legs."

Within five minutes of Bigelow's win, I was editing wikipedia because the page for "The Hurt Locker" had been defaced by someone upset that Tarantino didn't win. The vandalism was claiming that Bigelow had only won due to performing sexual favors on men! Ha ha ha isn't that funny! I mean, whatever, random wikipedia vandalism, but it got my attention. I am just so excited. I really, really hope this means something! Right now I feel like running off to film school. :-)

"Precious" looked just so heart rending, I haven't seen it. I heard a lengthy interview with the director, and just listening to him talk about the cycles of violence and suffering was enough for me. He did open calls looking for an actor for "Precious", and found lots of random fat girls in stores and the like, and gave them a chance, and in the end was concerned about being exploitative, and actually here's the link. I haven't listened to it since it aired, but I remember it being painful and good. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120092180

Still on "Precious", I'd really like for Gabourey Sidibe to get more roles! She got a nomination for Best Actress in her first role! I really want to see more fat women in non-comic roles on screen. Male actors are allowed to be fat, women aren't, and it's just another thing that irritates me about Hollywood.

And finally, I enjoyed the dancing, and I don't understand why so many people react to modern dancing with "ugh people flailing on stage". It irks me.

No comments: