Monday, May 17, 2010

Yoga: Coming Soon To My Living Room!

One of the most important changes in my life in the past year is yoga. I had tried tiny bits of yoga previously as part of other events, and found it intriguing. I had planned to find a yoga class during my summer in San Francisco, but it never happened. Last November, my friend Q started teaching yoga in a belly dance studio in Jamaica Plain. By the end of the first class I was hooked, but getting to Jamaica Plain is really a pain from Davis Square, where I live. The trouble getting to class was probably the main reason I've missed it so much, but now I will have no such excuse because class will be... in my living room!

We have a great big common area in my apartment, and I'm very excited to host things here. I have plans to also have a dance party and host a LARP or two, and possibly a tabletop game if the current location becomes infeasible.

I've realized that my greatest satisfaction in life comes from making people happy or making their lives better. I'm not sure what this means for my future career, but I know that I want to open up my home to things like this. I want to become the best hostess I can. I want to make events runs as smoothly as possible, while minimizing stress for myself and everyone else involved. I want my net impact on the people around me to be positive.

Yoga has been so good for my body, my relationship with my body, and myself overall. I can't really quantify everything it has done. I really want to start practicing daily, and I just need to get it into my routine (what little routine I have) and I think it could become something I do basically every day for the rest of my life. I haven't tried any other style of yoga, but I know that the combination of yoga styles that Q teaches is good for me. I encourage everyone to try yoga out, whether with Q or someone else.

The first class at my house is Monday at 7:30 pm. Contact me at laura47 at gmail for directions and details. We're about half a mile from the Davis T, on two bus lines, and have reasonable parking.

"Q has studied kundalini and vinyasa yoga for the past decade. His
classes tend to incorporate breathing exercises, a rigorous vinyasa
flow, and a range of different meditation techniques. Students of all
levels and all body types are always welcome." - From the facebook group description

No comments: