Monday, June 28, 2010

(Not very deep) thoughts on my relationship with video games

I have so much trouble thinking of myself as a (video)gamer. I'm a LARPer for sure, a writer and player of live action roleplaying games. I'm a tabletop gammer, with Dungeons & Dragons, Exalted, World of Darkness, et cetera. These days, I even play german-style board games, despite swearing for years I'd never given in to their siren call. But video games? I'm not a gamer, I just play the stuff. My little brother had video game systems, and I played them sometimes, but he was the gamer, not me, I was sure of it.

Hilariously, I used to *make* video games, when I worked at the Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab back in college. It might have been that experience that raised my standards of what a "real gamer" was, as it seemed everyone around me was so much more into videogames than I was. The games I did like tended to be puzzle-oriented games, not "hardcore" games, which obviously made me less of a "real gamer".

It all went downhill with Rock Band. I love Rock Band sooooo much. I engaged in ridiculous shenanigans to get to play RB, and desperately wanted to play it all the time. I was in the middle of trying to convince my boyfriend's housemate to get it when I had a birthday party, back in December 2008. My clever boyfriend got a bunch of my friends together, and they bought me an X-Box 360 and a Rock Band 2 set. I was ridiculously excited.

I never would have bought an X-Box on my own, and for a long time I thought I'd only ever use it for Rock Band. I got sucked in by being able to get download games and game previews directly onto the X-Box. Portal and Braid lured me in. Now I have a Nintendo DS, and a Wii, and a Gamefly subscription. Gamefly is basically netflix for video games, and it's fantastic for me. Games are so expensive, and I just can't convince myself to buy most games without having played them. Gamefly is wonderful. Right now I have out "New Super Mario Brothers Wii" and the "Metroid Prime" trilogy for the Wii, and I sent back "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" for the DS. NSMB is a modern take on the traditional 2-D side scroller Mario game, Metroid Prime is, well, I guess a combination First Person Shooter/Sandbox/Puzzle game, and Phoenix Wright is actually a game about being a lawyer. Earlier this year, I found myself completely obsessed with "The World Ends With You", a Japanese RPG. These days, I find myself open to most styles of video games now (except MMORPGs, not going there!). What should I play next?

2 comments:

lis said...

Have you tried Disgaea? It's a turn based strategy game that I had a lot of fun playing.

You might also like Scribblenauts, though I found it stupidly hard and gave up.

Right now I'm playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, which turns me into a crazy person that stays up until 4am.

Teknik Informatika said...

did you develop your skills in the game? where is currently a game athlete in a national match